- Qualification: 12th Arts / 12th Arts + Maths / 12th Commerce / 12th Commerce + Maths / 12th PCM + B / 12th PCM / 12th PCB
- salary: Rs. 2,00,000/year
Who is a Chromotherapist?
Chromotherapy or Color Therapy is the treatment of medical conditions of the human body by shining any or many colors onto the affected part of the body or prolonged observation of the colors by the patient.
This type of therapy does not have any empirical or scientific basis, but it has enough experiential evidence to qualify as a form of Government recognized alternative medicine in India.
The Union Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga, and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy (AYUSH) classifies Chromotherapy as a type of naturopathy, wherein the application of Chromotherapy is defined as a combination of diet management and treatment by use of the natural elements of light.
What does a Chromotherapist do?
Chromotherapy is identified as a non-invasive holistic treatment, wherein a qualified chrome therapist can prescribe and administer the right wavelengths of light i.e. colors, onto the affected area or eyes of the patient.
The underlying belief of the treatment suggests that the brain and the body interpret the vibrations of these wavelengths and stimulate recovery from ailments. Chromotherapy may also involve infusion of the color properties into water, oil and various fluids by storage in colored bottles, use of colored fabrics and objects.
Each color is assigned a different curative property on the basis of the associated Chakras (centers of spiritual awakening as defined by Hindu scriptures) of the Human body. For example:
1. Red is associated with the root chakra at the base of the spine. This chakra is the connection of the human body with the earth.
2. Orange is associated with the Sacral Chakra, 2 to 3 inches below the navel. This chakra commands the mind-body connection, kidneys, pleasure, adrenals and reproductive organs.
3. Yellow represents the Chakra of the Solar Plexus and it is said to cure ailments of ductless glands and indigestion.
4. Green represents the Chakra of the Heart and it is said to cure the ailments of the lungs, immunity, nerves, heart and emotional instability.
5. Blue is associated with the Thyroid chakra, metabolism and the expression of peace.
6. Indigo is for the 3rd eye chakra, wisdom, sleeping cycle, pineal and pituitary glands.
7. Violet represents the Crown Chakra i.e. the chakra of dreams, pineal glands, light sensitivity, spirituality, and the sleep cycle.
What are the skills required?
1. Experiential Knowledge of Chromotherapy: Since this field is an experiential form of treatment and not an empirically tested therapy, a Chromotherapist must have the experiential knowledge of the field. Fortunately, Government recognized courses of Chromotherapy impart such first-hand training to students, prior to formal employment as a Chromotherapist.
2. Material Management: A Chromotherapist has to be delicate and meticulous in the management of materials and equipment associated with Chromotherapy.
3. Customer Relations: Chromotherapy requires the therapist to directly engage with patients and customers. Hence, it requires high levels of responsiveness, empathy and communication skills.
4. Basic Awareness of other forms of Treatment: A chromotherapist must have the necessary awareness to refer patients to scientifically proven treatments or other types of alternative medicine.
Education in India provides many credible options to pursue a degree or diploma in Chromotherapy. Listed below are some of the best rated and most admired universities and colleges for Chromotherapy.
Prestigious Colleges offering a degree in Chromotherapy
- Institute of Alternative Medicines and Research (IAMR), Kolkata: Certificate in Chromotherapy
- Swastik Health Care Centre, Ahmedabad: Diploma in Gem-Tele-Chromo Therapy (DGTCT), & Training in Chromotherapy/Color therapy
- Holy Angels College of Alternative Medicines, Mumbai: Bachelor of Gem-Tele-Chromotherapy(BGTCT)
- Institute of Education Research and Development, Kolkata. Course: Training in Chromotherapy/ Colour therapy
Popular Colleges offering a degree in Chromotherapy
- Acupressure Sansthan, Jodhpur: Bachelor in Chromotherapy
- Swastik Health Care Centre, Rajkot: Diploma in Color Therapy/Chromotherapy
- Acupressure Health Care India, Raipur. Course: Diploma in Chromotherapy
The focus of the present government on Yog and Ayurveda has given a huge boost to all forms of Indian fields of alternative medicine, including Chromotherapy.
Chromotherapists can be self-employed or they can secure progressive careers in alternative medicine divisions of hospitals, clinics, therapy centers, hotels, and spas.
How much does a Chromotherapist make?
Salaries of chromotherapists are solely based on client acquisition and customer relations and double or triple their initial pay scale. According to job descriptions on the
Monster India website, the salary of a chromotherapist at entry-level is approximately 2lac INR per annum.
What are the books and Study materials available?
1. The 4-Color Person by Max Lüscher
2. What Colour Are You?: The Way to Health Through Colour: Seeing Red, in the Pink, Feeling Blue by Annie Wilson
Chromotherapists are recruited by hospitality chains for their wellness and leisure divisions. If a chromotherapy graduate shows good communication skills, he/she can apply for progressive careers in Marriott, Hyatt, Westin Group. ITC Group of Hotels and famous boutique hotels of tourist destinations such as Agra, Rishikesh, Goa, and Puducherry.
According to the latest study by Research & Markets, Ayurveda was valued at Rs. 300 billion in 2018 and expected to grow at 16.6% CAGR per annum since 2019. By this rate, it will double in size by 2024. Likewise, opportunities for employment in alternative medicine shall also rise considerably.